The Kennedy Mine Loop Trail
Enjoy Nature & History; Take a Walk at the Historic Kennedy Gold Mine
The Kennedy Mine Loop Trail (KMLT) is a pedestrian-only scenic walk consisting of 2.3 miles of dirt trail that is mostly free from poison oak and provides the walker with rigorous exercise along with varied terrain and scenic views. There are three rest stops with benches. The trail is a loop and circles the central area of mine activity.
Access to the TrailVisitors to the Mine during hours the mine is open for tours can usually get approval from on-site tour guides to explore the trails. Strict conditions exist that require trail users to stay on the trail and return to their car before the tours close. Information and registration is available at the Gift Shop.
Also, there are guided tours available on selected days. 2018 Guided Tour Schedule dates, (all times shown are AM):
Tues 4/17 9:00; Tues 4/24 8:30; Sat 5/5 9:00; Tues 5/22 8:30; Sat 6/9 9:00; Tues 6/26 8:30; Sat 6/30 9:00; Wed 7/4 8:30.
Meeting and parking will take place in the rear of the First Baptist Church pkg lot at 10700 N CA-49, Jackson.
Trail Map and Membership
For the current year, selected residents will be invited to become
Kennedy Mine Loop Trail members. For all volunteers who helped build and maintain the trails, membership is automatic.
Membership benefits entitle the member to:
There is no fee for KMLT membership but members are encouraged to help on some future project of the Kennedy Mine (e.g., trail work, help with events). If volunteering is not practical, a cash contribution would be appreciated, but not required.
Kennedy Mine Loop Trail Access RulesThere are strict rules for trail access, as follows:
- Complete the Kennedy Mine Loop Trail Volunteer Application, and submit. Upon acceptance of this application, you will be emailed the gate code.
- Park only at the Baptist Church at the North Entrance, and walk down to the trail gate. Do not drive into the Mine, even if the main gate is open.
- There are signs along the trail to help you stay on the trail. It is unlikely you will encounter other Kennedy Volunteers. If you do, politely tell them your name and that you are a member.
- No animals, bicycles or motorized vehicles are allowed, with the exception of dogs on a leash (at all times). The grate on the pedestrian bridge may be too rough for your dog’s paws, and there is no other way past it. See "B" on the map.
- At this time there are no picnic tables along the trail but you are welcome to stop at any of the three benches.
- Please haul out any modern trash (pop cans, paper cups, candy wrappers, etc.), even the trash you might see others leave. Help us keep the trail clean.
- Please do not move or remove artifacts or take souvenirs. Please leave relics/artifacts where you see them for others to enjoy. Help preserve our history! Thank you!
- Please email Mike Hewitt at KMLT@kennedygoldmine.com with any comments or observations (e.g, trees down, poison oak).